By Emma Buckley,Martin Dinter
- The first booklet of its sort to regard this period, which has won in attractiveness in contemporary years
- Makes a lot vital examine to be had in English for the 1st time
- Features a stability of latest learn with confirmed serious lines
- Offers an strange breadth and variety of fabric, together with big remedies of politics, management, the imperial court docket, artwork, archaeology, literature and reception studies
- Includes a mixture of confirmed students and groundbreaking new voices
- Includes distinctive maps and illustrations
Read Online or Download A Companion to the Neronian Age (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World) PDF
Similar literary medieval criticism books
It is a learn of the presence of Greek and Latin in British literature because the Renaissance. whereas the impact of Greek and Roman literature on British literature has been largely surveyed, the function of these old languages themselves inside glossy British literature has merely started to be studied.
During this publication, J. L. Lightfoot throws a bridge among collectively ignorant parts: pagan oracles and Judaeo-Christian reviews. The Sibyl used to be a mythical determine in Greco-Roman antiquity who was once credited with verse prophecies, usually of an apocalyptic personality. Lightfoot describes how she was once taken over by means of Jews within the Hellenistic interval, and later by means of Christians, as a car for his or her personal understandings of prophecy.
The opposite Virgil tells the tale of the way a vintage just like the Aeneid can say various things to varied humans. As a faculty textual content it was once in general taught to aid the values and beliefs of a succession of postclassical societies, yet among 1500 and 1800 a couple of strangely delicate readers spoke back to cues within the textual content that decision into query what the poem seems to be helping.
The traditional Greeks’ notion of “the hero” used to be very varied from what we comprehend through the time period this day. In 24 installments, in response to the Harvard direction Gregory Nagy has taught and sophisticated because the Nineteen Seventies, the traditional Greek Hero in 24 Hours explores civilization’s roots in Classical literature, a lineage that keeps to problem and encourage us.
- The Rhetoric of Seeing in Attic Forensic Oratory
- A History of Ottoman Poetry Volume IV: 1700-1850: 1700-1850 v. 4 (Gibb Memorial Trust Turkish Studies)
- John Skelton and Poetic Authority: Defining the Liberty to Speak (Oxford English Monographs)
- Porphyrios, "Contra Christianos": Neue Sammlung der Fragmente, Testimonien und Dubia mit Einleitung, Übersetzung und Anmerkungen (Texte und Kommentare) (German Edition)
- Studies on the Text of Macrobius' Saturnalia (American Philological Association American Classical Studies)
Extra resources for A Companion to the Neronian Age (Blackwell Companions to the Ancient World)